Thursday, October 30, 2008

We're going in a new direction

I'd like this site to be a more interesting/informative place, so I've decided to take a cue from my brilliant little sister Amelia and talk about some great works of literature and music on this site. I'm hoping my organization and research now will pay off in instant homeschool projects later (insert sneaky eyebrow wiggle).

This week's theme will be Sleeping Beauty. I know, roll your eyes, kids' stuff. But by the end of the week you may be surprised at the power behind this fairy tale. Today is Musical Thursday! I play beautiful music on the CD player while making pancakes. Then while they are finishing their sticky breakfast I play some piano. It's the only time of day when I can play more than three measures without an interruption. Today's selection was actually inspired by my Grandma Landes, who introduced me to the magic of musical storybooks. She would play the Nutcracker music and tell us the story of the ballet using another book in this series. I was only able to find Sleeping Beauty. I'd like to find the Nutcracker, Swan Lake, and A Christmas Carol from that same series.

The music is pretty easy, no super tricky rhythm but it has its fair share of accidentals. Still, my kids are a forgiving audience. I love love LOVE Tchaikovsky's music, and this sounds really beautiful even though it is so easy. Eleanor recognizes the music from the movie, and I hope someday to take her to the ballet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's cool!! Grandma Landes is awesome, isn't she?? She is the best Grandma and the best Great-Grandma too! Just go to thecutestblogontheblock.com to get your blog background, it's really easy to do.

Amelia Murdock said...

yay!
im so glad you liked my idea... i do think like the new direction!

love it