Friday, October 31, 2008

Friday is date night!

Sterling and I need to be better about date nights. Usually we just hang out together killing gnomes in World of Warcraft, but it's nice to do different things too. Our goal for the usual date night is a budget of $10, no babysitter to arrange, and only 30 minutes of prep time.

Tonight is Halloween, so I'm picking some of my favorite thrillers (notice I didn't say horror, those are just icky). I know some people can't stand black and white movies (more's the pity), so I've got a BW or a Technicolor for you to chose.




The first one is Psycho. The original brilliant version by Alfred Hitchcock released in 1960. Unlike most of today's scary movies, this film relies on building suspense, great storytelling, and creeptastic acting, particularly by Anthony Perkins. Hitch bought the rights to the novel for $9,000 then bought up every novel he could find so he could keep the ending a secret. Ah, those were the days...no internet leaks and spoilers. This was the first American film to show a toilet flushing on screen. Walt Disney refused to let Hitchcock film at Disneyland in the late 1960s because Hitchcock "made that disgusting movie Psycho." I admire both filmmakers but apparently they didn't admire each other.




The Technicolor choice for a thriller is still kind of old. You will live. Wait Until Dark stars Audrey Hepburn as a blind woman caught in a web of drug deals gone wrong. This movie scared me so bad when I watched it, I kept saying out loud, "What's she going to do? What would I do? ohmygoshomygoshomygosh."

You can probably get these videos from your library they are such classics, and that would leave you with 10 bucks for treats. Since we're all sick of candy, try some frozen grapes and popcorn (not mixed together, ew).

6 comments:

Kimball Family said...

I love the Audrey Hepburn movie. Jake's mom recommended it to me while Jake and I were dating, and it terrified me!

You are definitely more creative than me and Jake. We always go to dinner and a movie, which require us to get a baby-sitter and spend WAY more than $10!

Mars said...

I think my favorite treat that you introduced me to is cookie dough. (When we visited them in TX she and I made up a batch and left it in the fridge to provide us with deliciousness all week long.) I know this sounds elementary, but I would never have thought to make dough and not bake it. Delicious.

Also, another good old thriller is Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte. Someone's crazy, you're just not sure who. There's also a newer movie called He Loves Me, He Love Me Not. It's french with subtitles, but if you can deal with that it's pretty mind-bending. And they have it at Blockbuster, so you don't have to go all over to find it just because it's french.

Unknown said...

I really like the Wait Until Dark movie!! I have seen it a few times. You can come visit us and Disney any time!! We would love to have you :) Are you still running the Disney Marathon?

Unknown said...

oh, and I love the new background ;-)

Robert, Jeana, and Brooke said...

Wait Unit Dark is the best. I remember watching that movie with my mom when I was younger...memories.

Amelia Murdock said...

wow i don't know what everyone here is thinking...
but psycho is the most amazing thriller ever...
changed my life pretty much lol

wait until dark is a bit slow..... till like the last 5 minutes

big fan of hitch