Sunday, March 23, 2008

Marathon training

I'm running a marathon at Disneyworld in January. I started training for it during the last week of January. I walked 1.5 miles every day. Then the next week I started running. I didn't try to kill myself, I just ran a little farther every day. Now, I can run 3 miles in 30 minutes. However, this last week I had to rest a bit because I have been getting a persistent cramp in my calf, and for the first time felt a bit of a shinsplint on my other leg. And I've got a weird knee twinge. So I've been doing situps, pushups, stepups, and other calisthenics in place of running.

I love running. This week of rest has been hard on me. I get a serious high after about 3/4 of a mile into a run. I am sure I look goofy running in the park with a huge grin on my face and my braid swinging wildly behind me. I listen to music on my ipod while I run, which really helps me keep pace. I downloaded Sterling's Rocky soundtrack, and I actually watched Rocky III with him last week. What a great movie! Now I need to see the rest of them.

Anyway, since I've been running, I have lost almost ten pounds, and my clothes fit much better. I still can't wear my wedding ring, so that's a bummer. But maybe in another six weeks...who knows?

Goal this week:
  • Monday: Run 40 minutes (longest ever in my ENTIRE life)
  • Tuesday: rest, do quad strengthening and wall pushups
  • Wednesday: 3 mile run (quad and wall work)
  • Thursday: Basketball and 1.5 mile run
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: 3 mile run
  • Sunday: 30 min walk

2 comments:

Jake said...

Once, I had to run a mile in Jr. High. I've spent the rest of my life making sure that never happened again. Your resolve is impressive and enviable.

Whew, I'm winded just typing that.

Amelia Murdock said...

awesome job getting ready for a marathon!! I would totally train for a half marathon...... that would be fun