Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Why I Home School

Isaac Newton did not invent the laws of physics, he observed and delineated what was already there. The great ancient human civilizations did the same thing with education. They realized that children learn in stages, and even as adults, we grow line by line, precept by precept.

There is a three-stage path to training the mind well. The stages are: Grammar, Dialectic, and Rhetoric.

The Grammar stage is when children's brains are like sponges. They can memorize lots of things (nursery rhymes, stories, songs, math facts, dinosaur names, historical timelines), but good luck reasoning with them or expecting much meaningful self-expression. Don't torture them with analytical or abstract lessons. And definitely keep the propaganda out of it. There is a big push in current education to help elementary school children "understand" what they are learning. This is wrong for two reasons: they are not able to conceptualize the relationship between different factors and, even if they were, they have not developed the ability to reason through the validity of what they have been told. They accept whatever you say! (Santa Claus is real, smoking is bad, the polar ice caps are melting and baby seals are dying)

The Dialectic stage is when their logic and reasoning kick in, and they are delighted by being argumentative, and contrary just to get a reaction. It can be aggravating, but if you channel these natural tendencies into exercises using previously memorized facts, they are able to connect ideas, analyze the strengths of arguments, etc. Unless you have a body of facts with which to practice reasoning, you have to work from the ground up, and kids this age HATE nonsensical memorization. That's for babies. We react with shock when they question the existence of God, or the veracity of the Word of Wisdom, but just realize that it's natural, and hope you've been teaching them Logic so they can ask accurate questions and test validity of truths.

The Rhetoric stage occurs around teenagerhood and is most notable for a desire to express the self, discover strengths, and become proficient at whatever interests them. The unknown can be explored because the known is understood.

This is not a revolutionary idea. It's how you learn how to do anything well. Think about driving a car or using the computer. First you learn the terms and rules, then you string the isolated parts together to make a whole, then you become proficient and have the power to go wherever you want.

I would love to find a Christian school that taught in the Classical tradition, but since they are so expensive and usually have a belief statement that involves the Trinity and such things, I am content to educate at home and be involved in co-ops, church, and eventually orchestras and sports teams (oh yeah, you have more time for those things when your schooling only takes 3 hours).

Here are some links to articles and resources I use (I know, I know, this huge rant about education and I can't figure out how to insert a hyperlink):
http://www.veritaspress.com/
http://www.gbt.org/text/sayers.html
http://www.gbt.org/
http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=11394&x=52&y=10
Book: The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE homeschooling - I really, really do! We have so much fun! So, why does Tyler tell me "mom I like homeshooling, but I want to go back to school"??? I feel like I'm a failure or doing something wrong!

Natalie R. said...

I am always super impressed with anyone who can home school. There are so very many things that tick me off about the educational system, I would really love to keep my children out of it, but I don't think I have the organization, patience or discipline to do it. Sigh.

Here's an idea - how much would I have to pay you to home school my kids??? ;0)

Sarah A. Lyons said...

Right on!!! I totally agree with your logic! I wish schools did understand this. It is one of the most frustrating things I have to deal with being in the ed department at school!