Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Have you ever wondered why....

There were so many Jews in Poland for the Nazis to murder?

It all goes back to the 14th century, during the waves of Black Death that turned society upside down and inside out. Whole towns were wiped out, never to be rebuilt. Crazy apocolyptic ideas sprouted up, and of course people sought someone to blame. Jews were run out of their ancestral homes or simply burned in massive bonfires. In England, Jews were banned for hundreds of years after these atrocities.

But in one corner of Europe, a king happened to have a beautiful Jewish mistress. This woman convinced the king to spare her people and welcome the displaced refugees. The corner of Europe? Poland. The woman's name? Esther.

6 comments:

Natalie R. said...

Wow, I never knew that before! I love little bits of history like that that just make life make a little more sense. Thanks for sharing! Out of curiosity, where/how did you find that out??

Hamlet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adrienne said...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/324494.The_Great_Mortality_An_Intimate_History_of_the_Black_Death_the_Most_Devastating_Plague_of_All_Time

Adrienne said...

Oh my gosh, I stink at insterting hyperlinks. It's a book called The Great Mortality. I log my reading stuff on goodreads.com.

Unknown said...

Very cool! I didn't know that either. We are just getting to the beginning of the Jews in our history reading for school.

Prudy said...

I'm catching up and reminding myself of all the reasons I love your blog. You're just a breath of fresh air, knowledge, humility, intelligence, confidence, and beauty. Keep it up.