Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My sleeper cell neighbors

Be prepared to be either really offended, amused, or scared by what I'm about to reveal. We have this house next to ours that is usually empty. There has never been a For Rent sign, never been a moving van in the 18 months we've been here. And yet there have been many different people staying there. Sterling thinks they are Hispanic, I think they look Persian. Every one is in the top 30% of humanity as far as good looks go. Fit, good teeth, well-groomed. We got a piece of mail from some Aviator association addressed to Ishmael Shaarif. A character in my book would have knocked on their door and asked if it was theirs, but I just gave it back to our mail carrier. (chicken)

We can't tell who owns the house. The garage is always spotless except for a bicycle or two. Sometimes there are women and children, usually just a couple of men coming in and out. From time to time a handsome 30-something man parks in their driveway (in a super sporty Audi) and someone from the house comes out and sits in the car, and they talk. Other times I've seen other people meticulously cleaning their cars or unloading things from their trunk wrapped in black garbage bags.

Is it drugs? Terrorism? Saudi royalty? Ross Perot's security team?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, that would be enough to concern me. Maybe the nice way around it is to bake some cookies and offer them to the neighbors. It might put your mind at ease. Good luck.

Mars said...

I think it's a Middle Eastern Prositution ring. Or a Latin American drug cartel. Or some people who work a lot and have the good sense to stay indoors when it's 110 degrees and 80 percent humidity. I would. :)

Mom of 7 said...

Be afraid. Be very afraid! I've changed my mind. Keep your dog.

Natalie R. said...

Wow, that's a bit creepy. Have you called the FBI yet???

Unknown said...

Oh dear...

dianasden.blogger.com said...

My imagination is running wild. My best guess is drugs or something illegal. I would be concerned. Don't mess with taking them cookies or anything. Stay away and be very careful. You can probably find out who owns the house if you go to the courthouse with the address, etc. Just tell them you are thinking of buying the house and want info on it. And if you can see the license number of the car(s) you can go to the license bureau and probably find out who it belongs to (for a couple of dollars.) I've had experience with this. Have you thought of moving?