Thursday, November 5, 2009

What's for Dinner?

This is the place to post ideas about what you want to make. Depending on how organized you are, maybe add an ingredient list and I'll try to get a handle on the food bill forecast. I don't know how much money will be in the pot (haha pun), but if you can make dinners for $25 and breakfasts for $10 that would put the food total at $280. It might end up being more than that, and that's ok, just keep the cost in mind. (There's no way we can keep Christmas dinner to $25)


If I'm way off base, let me know. Each couple gets to make 4 meals. Only one meal a day though. We'll work out the schedule later. The reunions I've been to where this worked, we did a brunch and an early dinner. Snacking in between obviously as needed. However, if the majority of the Mann family wakes up at 7 and wants a full breakfast right then, let's do that and have a snacky lunch or dinner. Let me know what you think.

This is also the place to beg others to make food you can't but really want for the holiday. Such as me begging someone else to make cinnamon rolls. And mashed potatoes.

5 comments:

Mars said...

Well crud. I was planning things differently. I like to cook and plan two uses out of everything I make. For instance, chili for dinner can be chili dogs the next day for lunch.

I don't know about just two meals a day. I depend on lunch to get Brandon to bed...(nap is after lunch). I see your point if we are having big breakfast everyday though.

Anyway, my meals were based on two lunches and two dinners. I can come up with something better for two of them.

chili-crockpot!
roast chicken and potatoes- also crockpot!
homemade mac and cheese (lunch, but if we put meat in it it could become dinner)
chili dogs- left overs. (Lazy)

I could make tacos or something instead of chili dogs. Or spaghetti sauce (crockpot!!!) I don't really have any specialty dishes. I will easily be the worst cook there. :)

REQUESTS!!!

Ade- orange julius, chocolate peanut butter squares, some kind of Landes pie, something with your sweet and sour sauce

Desiree- ham bone potato cheese soup, cinammon rolls (of course!)

Sterling Sr.- junk eggs! egg sandwiches with salsa, chili omelets (all breakfast food. hmmm.)

I can make fudge. I'd like popcorn balls but I don't know how to make them.

Ok, well now I'm hungry. I'll put up ingredients later, if and when these ideas are yayed or nayed. :)

Sarah A. Lyons said...

So, I don't quite know how to put this so bare with me. I am going to make things a little difficult in this department because I can't eat 'wheat' but don't freak out or think we can't have certain things because as my Dad says 'I'm special'. I would just ask that if possible the meals can be veritile so I can modify them to avoid the wheat. I am planning on using rice and potato's but I don't have any set recipies yet. And to put you all at ease here is a list of what is legal:

1. ANY VEGIETABLE
2. ANY FRUIT
3. OATS, CORN, RICE, POTATOS, SWEET POTATOS, etc
4. Dairy
5. ALL MEAT

(anything that says or contains 'wheat' or 'gulten' or 'flour' is off limits for me.)

I agree with having pies and cinnimon rolls and all the other fun Christmas goodies!!! I also agree with keeping it simple. That will take a lot of preasure off of me since Im not used to cooking for more then myself!!!!

Adrienne said...

Well shucks, how about we get Dad to make breakfasts for those who want it (and who wouldn't want it?). Mom seems to be all about the waffles etc too...hmm. We're still tossing out ideas!

Mars said...

I'm not this crazy. But if you are...

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/

http://www.mytartelette.com/search/label/gluten%20free

Adrienne said...

Ooo that ham bone potato soup sounds awesome! I really think we can have a pretty gluten free week.