Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cool parenting idea and a giveaway

Sterling and I read this great book called Discovering your Child's Strengths. In it, it suggested keeping a strengths journal of your children. I had been keeping a journal of my kids but it was more like, "today you had your first haircut" or "this is something cute you said." It was nice, but it was a little fluffy...and when things seem meaningless or froo froo I find many excuses to avoid them. But having the main theme of the journal be strengths finding and talent spotting, both my husband and I are having more fun writing in the journals.

One of my favorite people in the world (though she probably doesn't know this) is Erin Mylroie. My first experience with Erin was last August when my husband's grandfather passed away in St. George UT. We were literally homeless and jobless and I was newly pregnant (hence kinda sick). We happened to be on the way to UT so I could live with my family for a few weeks while Sterling found a place to live or a job or something. Erin's husband is my Sterling's cousin on his mom's side. So basically she opened her home to six adults and three children who were barely related to her for an event that was not even close to related to her. Oh and this was with 30 hours of notice, maybe less. AND she already had plans for that weekend because we woke up to find that her friend fom Alpine had come in for the weekend. My mortification turned to amazement as she handled the oodles of people with grace and love. Oh and did I mention the super delicious food she shared with us? She shares them with the world on her blog. Every recipe I've tried of hers has been awesome! Check out her orange chicken posted in January.

She runs the blog Prudence Pennywise and I probably spend more time checking her blog than my own. Right now she is doing my favorite thing of the year, "Cookie Bookie Week". Plus, if you visit and leave a comment you will be entered into a gift certificate giveaway. So go click on her link on the right.

4 comments:

Prudy said...

I'm blushing right down to my toes, but smiling too. You are too sweet. I'm sure I don't deserve it. Honestly, I was so impressed with you and your family. Sterling did very well! We would love to have you come visit anytime. I'd love to meet your new little baby. We have plenty of room and I promise to cook lots of good food. Thanks again for making my week. :)

Michal said...

she's one of my favorite people ever, too! and a great example of graciousness and hospitality. she gets it from her saintly mother!:)

Anonymous said...

God smiles on us in the oddest ways. It sounds like he sent you an angel just when you needed it. Can't wait to check out her blog. Thanks for the link. =)

Mars said...

Here here! Erin is awesome. I was awed by her home, cooking, attitude, and darling children. Whenever I meet someone who makes such amazing use of her time, I have to just bow to them in my heart. She doesn't know this either, but I tell people about my cousin Erin "who's a chef. She was on Rachel Ray!"

/blush. Anyway, Ade, spot on!