Friday, July 31, 2009

Prayer + work = success?

I heard a story once about Joseph Haydn. He always dressed in his best clothes before he sat down to compose music, because as he said, he is going before his Maker. Many of the great composers were deeply religious, especially Bach and Brahams. A cool youtube video that I've been watching every other day to get me hyped up to write is this one:

I just finished reading two bestselling novels this week, and I am so sick of foul language, graphic sex and violence being spewed at me. I want my writing to be virtuous, lovely, praiseworthy and lucrative. (Mwahaha love of money love of money....) Anyway, one reason I like the Twilight novels is because they are clean AND successful. Stephen King would totally make fun of me. But really, do I have to write about losers with foul mouths and morals to be taken seriously??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. At what point did good writing get thrown out for "smut will carry with the whole book"? I don't mind a few swear words here and there. I'm not perfect either, so it doesn't bother me, but every other word?

I've read a couple books that were actually four novellas in one package. One was very very good. The other . . . I stopped after the second novella because it was all sex. The world was supposed to be ending and the main characters are the only ones who can save it, but they can't get out of each other pants long enough to think, let alone save the world. And yet, somehow, it ended up being saved. I just couldn't read another one. And, I've only recently realized that I don't like writing that kind of drivel either. Go figure.

If that's what it takes to be famous, I'll pass.

Mom of 7 said...

I guess one of the small advantages to being a "non-novel reader" (for all intents and purposes)is that I haven't waded through that stuff lately. A really therapeutic exercise is to buy the book, and then tear out the offending parts. Bwuahahaha!!! Power, real power!