I've been having a lot of fun and success working my way through my story. I've been working on three chapters simultaneously and finished one last month. As for the other two, I'm stuck on two major conversations that take place between two major characters. It's the same two characters in both instances. I guess it's my fault for not fleshing them out enough. I've filled out every "character sheet" I can find, but still this main character of mine just doesn't capture my imagination. I hate her like I hate Madame Bovary and to some extent myself. Other writers talk about how their characters seem so alive that they can talk to them. That is so bizarre to me, and yet I wish I could experience it.
On a happier note, I'm currently working on a Family History Burlesque a la Mark Twain. I just read his this weekend and it cracked me up. I thought, "I can do that." But as I study his little 3-page piece again, I realize what a genius Twain is.
1 comment:
Hmmm, how to inject some pizazz into your character . . . I don't really have any advice on that one. Have you tried Holly Lisle's in-depth character workshop, the one you have to buy? It sounds pretty cool.
Oh, and . . . FLOG! Get to work!
Post a Comment