Then there are the selected books on top of the stacks, sometimes they have to do with the closest season or holiday. Are the librarians trying to say these selected books are the best things in the library? It's tempting to just grab a few on display and high-tail it out of there before your toddler has ANOTHER poopy diaper.
Then, you get home and you realize you've checked out nasty bratty kid characters or dysfunctional families or just all-round bad writing. Who needs this?
Do you want books both you and your children can enjoy reading? Do you want these books to have morals and values that your family should emulate? Do you want interesting and beautiful artwork? You can have all that! I'll be posting every once in a while about the great books I've found and tried on my kids.
The Most Perfect Spot by Diane GoodeMy review
rating: 5 of 5 stars
Because I love picnics, I thought I'd give this book a try. It was worth it. It's a sweet, optimistic story with a funny ending.
View all my reviews.
Violet Comes to Stay by Jan KaronMy review
rating: 4 of 5 stars
Easy to read aloud. It's not life-changing but it's sweet and tender and even my little 2-year-old son liked to listen to it.
View all my reviews.
1-2-3: A Child's First Counting Book by Alison JayMy review
rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is a counting book based on fairy tales. There must be 20 different traditional stories represented as this girl dreams her way from one to twenty and back. My daughter (4) and I loved this book. At first when I read it she just watched while I counted the different things on the page. Then once we realized the different fun layers to this book we read it again and again to find the cute little clues the illustrations give you about what's coming next. Also, and I'm not going to give this book ALL the credit, but she did have a major breakthrough on math and counting at about the same time we read it. So, who knows?
View all my reviews.
3 comments:
What a great idea! I'll check back regularly to see what you've discovered. We love to read "Little Critter" books and have amassed a nice little collection for ouselves. They meet all criteria for us; great message, great pictures and super funny!
dude.... you should write a 5 star book!!
And I'll illustrate it!
seriously!
Check out the James Herriot books for children. The pictures are beautiful and the stories are true.
Post a Comment