Sunday, January 4, 2009

Baby name poll

I want a name that has some kind of history (literature or royalty). I don't want something that is too popular, like top 50. I prefer classic and although I love names that end in A (like Amelia), they just don't sound good with our last name, Mann. For instance, Lilia, turns into Lily, a man. It's a sentence fragment. I like 3 syllables, 2 are acceptable, no one-syllable names. Sibling names are Eleanor and Sterling.

Charlotte
Isabelle
Camille
Juliet
Jacqueline
Margaret
Marguerite
Caroline
Margot
Imogen
Elise
Lillian

12 comments:

Mark and Aupreille said...

I must say, I like your names, we are naming the baby Marquerite (middle name I think) after Mark's grandma and have been tossing around both of the J's names on your list also for a first name, although we still can't decide.

Mars said...

oh wow, I don't know. I actally really like Lily, but the fact that you didnt' list it says you probably don't. Elise and Charlotte are nice, but you have to realize you might get Charlie when she's in high school. (I used to know a Larry, short for Larissa.) Maybe it's too top 50 for you, but I think Cambira is cool. Or Brianna. I've always liked that.

Mom of 7 said...

Some other names that I have come across in my research on medieval France include some of these winners:

Hosebart, Villequin, Gaebould and Engeurrand. Ick! So you see, anything else you choose will be divine.

Here are some nice ones: (Just so you know I take your blog seriously):Goldburga, Gunnulda, Hugelina,Merewenna (not to be confused with marijuana) and my personal favorite: Ermentrude

So, there you go. If you steal any of these names, I will never forgive you!!!

Adrienne said...

My mom is hilarious.

Amelia Murdock said...

oh man, mom's names are sooo funny

okay, please please please NOT isabelle!! i know about a billion little girls with that name

i think margot is acutally really cool

i want juliet and charlotte for my own kids.... that's how much I like them... but i won't be offended if you take them... i have back up ones :)

oh and ps.... she won't be called charlie i don't think.... Lottie if she says that, or at the very least it will be Char.....(shar)

Unknown said...

I'm with Amelia on Juliet. I really like Isabelle though - Tyler was going to be Isabelle or Tyler, but since he came out a boy we figured we better go with Tyler. :)

Mars said...

So here's some names from my girls at school:

Kjerstin
Azaria
Grace
Tianne
Gillian
Kennedi
Violette
Kipling
Mercedes
Alandra
Vivian
Reganne
Nele
Kylenn
Teasha
Dominique
Ashlyn
Madeline
Ceceli

Anyway, that's my input.

Ben said...

I'm not family, but my wife and I love thinking of names. We also love classic, historical names. Our children are Henry, Gwenneth, and Jane. Eleanor is one of my favorites. Some others we've had on our minds:

Daphne
Phoebe
Marian
Catherine
Virginia
Victoria

Adrienne said...

Wow thank you all for such good ideas! Ben, I've loved the name Marian for about 10 years, but Marian Mann doesn't quite work, sadly.

Jeana Bird said...

I am partial to Vivian (I know this really great girl with that name :))! There are some great names out therebut I do realy like Gwenneth, I love Charlotte (but I want to name my little girl Charlee so I wouldn't care if that was a nickname). I like the name Violette (I am all about cool spellings) and Madeline and Jane (and just give her a two/three syllable middle name). Good luck, I can't wait to hear what you decide.

Thanks also for the review on the kids books, I am going to go check them out!

Jake said...

1. Camille
2. Elise
3. Charlotte

Jake said...

And, from the other suggestions:

2.5. Catherine