Wednesday, November 26, 2008

In quick defense of my writing numbers

I worked on my second chapter for about 4 hours tonight. 200 new words. But totally rehashed about 5 pages, changing a key action scene and killing off my favorite minor character (sniffle). So it was a lot of good thinking, and I was excited to post my words, then I got to the wordcount buddies website and saw all the huge numbers posted there. Miranda with 1000+, all the way up to some crazy person who wrote 4500. I felt like Charlie Brown when Lucy pulled the football right out from under him.

2 comments:

Mars said...

Hey any number of words is progress! Besides, I think planning and thinking are important. I used to spend hours on my book, but all I was writing was outlines. I didn't start writing actual chapters till I had been planning for like 3 months. Or more.

So don't feel like Charlie Brown. I think it's awesome that you're writing again. And I feel totally intimidated by everyone else's totals too. Kel and Jen in particular seem a little word-count-crazy!

Anonymous said...

Oh, no, no, no. You edited 5 pages and got 200 new words out of it? That's awesome. I envy that more than the total new words. It's so much harder to edit than to let the words flow.

You have to think to edit, just like Mars said. It's much, much harder. You are totally awesome. You should feel good about what you did. Chin up. You are definitely not Charlie Brown.

And to those of use who hate editing (like me), you are a superhero. =)