Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Wall of Shame

For the first time in almost two months I have legitimately quit writing for two days. I couldn't bring myself to write anything; my main story is getting so stale. I have no desire to tell it anymore. So I considered writing exercises or rudessions, but those just feel like I'm avoiding the problem. So yeah, flog away.

4 comments:

Ben said...

No flog for you. I'm just too disappointed.

Hamlet said...

Uhm me too. Please don't stop! I love your story. You have it. Don't waste it and let wannabe writers take teh fame that is rightly due to you!

Liz said...

Write, Adrienne. Write anything. Do a ten-minute timed writing exercise on oh.. let see... a freeway overpass. That should be good for a bit of wild description. Give yourself a break from the WIP for a day or so, but don't stop writing. It's harder to start again than it is to keep going. (Inertia and all that).
And ... what else was I going to say? Oh yes, I remember now. **FLOG**. You already received your allotment of sympathy from Daeruin and Hamlet.

riotimus said...

I have experienced that with longer works. Something that I've done that has helped is to write a related short story. I try to make it as un-epic as possible, just an out-of-the-spotlight look at one of your characters or institution or other characteristic of your story. It isn't an exercise because it is a real story, a legitimate tale to which you are inclined. I would be willing to do a detailed post on Write On if you or anyone else care about some of the times when I've done this.

And not that I belong on this end of whip, but FLOG.

R.