Sunday, April 6, 2008

Word counting

Bleh, today it just wasn't fun. I've been working on the character history of my main girl. It is exceedingly hard for me to just "make up" anything. It's much easier for me to fill in the blanks in some historical character's life.
That's what has brought me sucess so far in my life. The worksheet mentality of "here, fill in the blanks, that means you're smart." I don't feel confident about my creativity. I suppose when confronted with a blank page, or a blank character, the only wrong answer is to do nothing.

4 comments:

Mars said...

Hi Ade! I am impressed with both your physical and literary aspirations. I have no advice or experience developing characters. Maybe that is why I gravitate to poetry: you don't have to chart a character. It is a skill I want to develop, though. I want to break into longer writing styles. I am thinking short stories next. I am not ready for novels yet!

Ben said...

Well spoken, Adrienne! Here's an idea that may or may not be worth anything. Maybe you should use a historical figure as the basis for your character. Begin by filling in some blanks, then changing something here or there. Kind of like in that movie...what was it? Finding Forrester or something like that? Where the kid takes this famous author's essay and copies it, just changing a bit at a time until it's completely different, and it's completely his own words.

Adrienne said...

Hey thanks, I'm liking the snowflake principle, which I may discuss further in upcoming posts. And yeah daeruin, I am seriously thinking of putting my current project on the back burner and doing a pure historical fiction instead of science fiction.

Ben said...

I just clicked through to the snowflake page. It seems really cool! I think I'm going to try it out. I keep wanting to do an outline of my novel, but I was never sure where to start. It's easy for me to come up with settings, characters are a little harder, and plots are the hardest of all for me.