Monday, April 14, 2008

Country music + running = easycake

Until I lose some more weight, I have found my perfect running time is a 12-minute mile. If I start out trying to do a 10 or 11 minute mile in time to my peppy rock music playlist, I can only keep it up for ohhh 10 or 11 minutes. Then I end up walking and feeling like a loser.

Sterling threw some Garth Brooks on my ipod and I figured out how to listen to it after a few weeks. Voila! Perfect beat to keep me running for miles without injury or walking. I ran 3.5 miles on Friday, no walking, and it was a blast. Great weather too!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That's great! Keep it up, only about 22 miles to go :)

Jake said...

If killing babies to gain superhuman strength isn't OK, why is it OK to use Garth Brooks to make the 12-minute mile?

Adrienne said...

Doh! I knew Egidius would be horrified. I'm also waiting for the wrath of Miranda. I only use Garth Brooks when I do long distances...last night for a short/fast run I used P.O.D. Bryan Adams and Bon Jovi. Come to think of it, I'm probably just digging a deeper hole for myself.

Mars said...

Ha! Wrath thoroughly incured. Why would you only listen to Garth when you run long distances?! That's like saying, "I only wave the Nazi flag when putting cigars out in puppies' eyes." Two horrible things, when combined, make a bigger, more horrible thing. Ack!

On a lighter note, congratulations. While I like puppies and would not want to harm them, and also would rather die than be subjected to a Garth Brooks/distance running combo, I actually admire that you are doing so. I've heard you look fabulous. Yay for you!

Sterling Mann said...

Dear Precious Wonderful daughter in law - a 12 minute pace is super. Give it time you mile pace will drop. When you are running 8 minute miles and less you will no longer but jogging but acutally running. Fantastic!!!

Adrienne said...

You are all so funny! Last night I JOGGED another 3-miler, didn't record the pace but some spouse who will remain anonymous put some Backstreet Boys and Techno (very old CDs) on my ipod. In my innocence, I decided to just do an alphabetic songlist shuffle while I shuffled along. Anyway, there are a lot of Backstreet Boys songs that start with A,B,C,D, and E. All in all, a horrible experience.